Land O'Lakes has established it's
Beef Enterprise Consulting program to better serve beef producers in the
upper midwest, helping them to be competitive with the large commercial
feedyards of the Southern Plains. It is a flexible program with many different modules that can
be chosen based on the needs of each individual feedlot or producer.
Data Analysis Management
Land O'Lakes Beef Enterprise Consulting
Beef Ration Balancer software - ration
balancing plus performance and financial projections.
Feedstuff Analysis - analysis packages
for grains, forages and TMRs.
Nutrition & Ration Review - total
evaluation of feedstuffs, rations, mixer evaluation, feed storage &
handling, inventory control, alternative feedstuffs, water quality.
Feedlot Cost & Performance Monitoring
software - tracks feedlot and financial performance, nutrition, intakes
Intake analysis - graphing of dry matter
intakes to identify management opportunities.
Closeout analysis - comparison of actual
closeout data with potential closeout performance based on total nutrient
Feedbunk Management Training
- Bunk scoring & recording, review of feeding techniques, review of
factors affecting feed intakes, training for employees and/or owners.
Herd Health Analysis & Review -
coordination with your veterinarian to review herd health history, vaccination
and implant programs, health and nutrition interaction.
Consulting Checklists - forms for
analyzing facilities, cattle, intakes and management.
Beef Quality Assurance Certification -
assist you thru the process to achieve BQA certification.
Current Feedlot Analysis - walk thru and
written analysis of current facilities & capacities.
Feedlot expansion and/or new construction
- Feedlot design with construction cost estimates for new facilities.
Cashflows to determine new yardage costs and potential profits.
Manure Management - Work with government
agencies to stay in compliance. Assist with manure storage design,
manure nutrient analysis.
Marketing Analysis - review of kill sheet
data, marketing alternatives such as grids and risk management strategies.
Marketing Programs - programs for
marketing cattle are available thru various channels. New alignments are
constantly being developed to add value to fed cattle.
Financial Analysis - review of historic
and current financial situation of the beef enterprise or total farm
operation. Analysis tools that calculate operating efficiency, asset
turnover, and debt load ratios.
Requirements for Beef
Enterprise Consultant Certification
Business Planning - short term and long
term planning for growth strategies looking at the current situation, outlook,
goals, and strategies needed to attain the goals. Lenders like to see a
written business plan for expansion projects.
Land O Lakes Training
- Basic Feed & Sales
- Beef Ration Balancer
- Advanced Feedlot School
- Advanced Cow/Calf School
- Beef Self Development Courses - 3
Sections, 500+ pages
- Cattle Disease Training Course
- BEC training seminars, 4 per year.
- Annual Beef Short Course (3-5 days)
- Action Selling
- Interpersonal Skills
- Performance Selling
- Consultative Selling
- Beef Ration Balancer
- Feedlot Performance & Cost Monitor
- Beef Cow Ration Balancer
- NRC Balancer
- Spreadsheets - Excel & 123
- Word processing - Word
- Presentation software - Powerpoint
- Database Software - Access
- 3 years minimum with significant beef
experience & demonstrated success in consultative selling.
- Trade area data base developed including
- Feedlot Performance Cost Monitor, actively
keeping & interpreting data for at least 10 feedlots.
- Develop a personalized beef reference
manual, plus files of additional reference & training materials.
- Personal library of at least 20 specified
- Completion of a University level Commodity
- Work with the Senior Cattle Consultant 2
days each year.
- Contributes input into company products
- Hold beef training on a district &
- Develop a Beef Club for producer
information & education.
- Maintain active County, State, &
National Cattleman's Association membership.
- Subscribe to at least 4 beef industry
publications and use them as reference materials & files.
- ARPAS Certification (American Registry of
Professional Animal Scientists)
Beeflinks is sponsored by Land O'Lakes